Monday, January 19, 2009

Day 4: Wall Street and Some Thoughts on Purchasing Power in New York

Wall Street is not much of a street. I imagined hundreds of bustling men-in-suits, running across the street with their hand in the air, hailing taxis. In fact, the part of Wall Street I went to--the part next to the New York Stock Exchange--is cut off to traffic and mostly all I saw was tourists in various stages of taking photos.

One thing I find interesting about New York is the prices. On-the-sidewalk vendors sell $1.75 hotdogs; 80-cent, eight-ounce cups of coffee are all over Chinatown. But, seeing $9.99-per-1/2 hour parking seemed pretty standard throughout Manhattan. I'm thinking I could survive financially in New York as long as I could subsist on hot dogs and little cups of coffee and didn't bring my car.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Wouldn't it be nice to return to the days of only using public transportation? That's one of the main reasons I would actually consider moving to a big city. I really enjoyed riding the trains/busses during my time in China, and my trips to Chicago, Boston, and DC.