Saturday, September 12, 2009

Walmart ... again

I read an article recently about how Walmart is, in the current economy, trying to squeeze the last bit of life out of all of its competitors/potential competitors. It is doing this by revamping its apparel offerings, listening to customers' complaints about floor layout, etc.

One of the changes the article pointed out is that the aisles are wider and that shoppers can now see multiple areas of the store from certain points for optimal navigation. As I walked into my newly renovated local Walmart, I got to experience the results of this "new look."

There is definitely more breathing room. For example, when you first walk into the store, you have a direct line of sight all the way from the far right to the far left end of the store. This fact comes into play because, as you walk inside, directly to your right is the sanitary napkin/douche/condom aisle. First of all, these items never used to all be in one aisle. Secondly, WTF? It's as if Walmart corporate was like: "Hmm, maybe we should put all the embarassing products in one aisle. And then, wouldn't it be great if we positioned that aisle strategically so that as many people as possible could see the customers in that aisle?"

I think Walmart had better be prepared for their condom/tampon market to take a hit.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Apparently our Walmarts are a little far behind. I haven't noticed any changes.

Emily said...

Central time is 7:34am, your blog is in Pacific time.

Katie said...

Wal-Mart obsession is not healthy. But it is entertaining for me. So you should keep it up

shishkabob said...

Hey! Who are you and why did you steal my blog title? I've owned "Approaching Entropy" since 2006.

shishkabob said...

Or did I steal your title? Why would Blogger allow this?

shishkabob said...

Wow, you must be a cobweb, just like me. http://approachingentropy.blogspot.com/