Sunday, October 14, 2007

Job Possibility

A week ago, a friend introduced me to the Martingale betting strategy, and I think it might just be the solution to my malingering career conundrum.

Here's how the strategy works: Let's say we're playing roulette. The first bet I place is $1. If I win, I quit; if I lose, the next time I bet $2. Then if I win, I quit, and my net gain is $1. If I lose, the next time I bet $4. Then if I win, I quit, and my net gain is $1; if I lose, the next time I bet $8. Each time I bet, I bet $1 above my cumulative losses.

Think about it. Given infinite money (and if I'm betting in $1 increments, $2000 is effectively infinite money), regardless of the odds that I'm working with, I'm guaranteed to win $1 eventually.

And that's just each iteration! So, given $2000 and infinite time (and thus infinite iterations of $1 wins), I could win an infinite amount of money. Thus nullifying my need to find a career.

But as my friend wisely pointed out, many things are possible given $2000 and infinite time.

3 comments:

Frail Otis said...

BlackJack would be the better prospect for this new career.

t bone said...

it sounds a lot like my theory on how to win at Vegas War. yes, they do have "War" in Vegas, the card game where you flip a card and high card wins- only if you tie, you go to WAR!!!!!

the basic gist is to bet the minimum bet ($10 in most hotels, or the equivalent in real life expediters; what's $10 worth to you?) until you lose 6 times in a row- then you bet wicked high- what are the odds you lose 7? or 8? or... nine times in a row?

but yes, even the house has a maximum bet. $250, usually. But what is the house limit in your scenario? Every house has a limit, no matter where you are, no matter who you are, no matter what you are. if you stay too long, the house always wins. (unless you cop out early)

hmmm?

snizzlephritz said...

"House limit"--the words of doom. I could make it work if there were no house limit. As it is, I'm going for a job interview next week--I don't think the gambling thing's going to work out.