Thursday, January 24, 2008

Ballet

I work at a tutoring center. It's on the bottom level. On the floor above, there is a dance studio. Sometimes they grand jete across the floor and land with a thud on our ceiling. In time. At least, that's what I imagine they're doing.

While I was teaching in China, there were massive construction projects constantly in progress on my campus. For a period of time noisy, sputtering trucks passed by my classroom building, progressively drowning out my voice. I would raise my voice until it could be raised no more, and I would finally shut up.

Sometimes I think there is a conspiracy to prevent learning. All the noisiest activities and creatures conspire together to locate themselves next to those who want to learn.

The man who lectures one classroom over from me this semester has a loud, low-pitched voice. If I stop talking, the rumbling of his voice distracts me.

Sometimes we don't stop talking for fear of hearing the rumbling.

Pardon the stream of consciousness writing. I've been reading Annie Dillard. She writes like this, and she won a Pulitzer.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Annie Dillard is kind of my hero. You have good goals.

Nate Chisholm said...

Her style works best when the final comment sums up the previous stream of consciousness yet also provokes the reader to further analysis and application. Which your most recent post did quite well! First it was Bill McKibben, now Annie Dillard; you're becoming very well read after college! I'd be curious if the next author you pick up is also on my bookshelf...will you let me know?