Monday, February 11, 2008

My Great American Novel

A friend has challenged me to write a great American novel, something to be found in the company of, say, Moby Dick or Huckleberry Finn. When I enquired as to the requisite features of said genre, I was told that it must encapsulate the yearnings, the desires, the angst of the typical modern American. So, I've decided my first step will be to learn a current American English dialect. I will standardize its spelling and grammar to provide my readers a bit of assistance in following the vast passages of incoherent dialog in my novel. My next step will be to befriend a particularly ornery child who speaks this dialect. I will then catalog his various schemes and mishaps as he travels down the river in search of his nemesis, a very large, very white fish--a fish about the size of Jonah's...fish. I think that should do it.

2 comments:

doogla531 said...

There are a number of problems with the dialect idea. (1) It's almost impossible to standardize a dialect and stay within the boundaries of what people accept as proper English spelling. (2) Usually dialect is not well written. Almost no one (possibly no one) can really write complete dialect and write well. ...But good luck.~~^^

Anonymous said...

My God - are you missing the point. (David)