Friday, February 22, 2008

What's the best kind of candy?

If we're talking about the non-chocolate genre, then hands down Shock Tarts is the best candy around. Closely followed by Sour-Patch Kids. At least, that's what I thought until tonight.

I grew up with a candy-aholic for a mother, so it's in the genes. Rides home from school customarily began with the offer of a piece of Bubble Yum. Bags of Jolly Ranchers could always be found in my mom's not-so-secret hiding places. And for Christmas, my mom's stocking is always filled with a variety of movie theatre box candies--Dots, Mike & Ikes, Good & Plenties, etc.

Halloween and Valentine's Day are the best holidays--candywise. What could beat Candy Corns and those little chalky hearts that say "I love you"...or "IM me"? You think I'm being ironic, but I'm not.

Tonight I discovered Nerds Rope, self-described as "Soft Gummy Rope Covered With Tiny Tangy Crunchy Nerds Candy." Why has no one ever thought of this before? Probably because it didn't make it among mainstream candy eaters, as evidenced by the fact that boxes of them can be found at the Food Pantry. Yes, that's right, my friend who feeds her foster kids Food Pantry fare picked up a whole box of Nerds Rope on her last visit. Because what the Food Pantry needs to be providing foster kids is Nerds Rope.

Right now, as I'm writing this, I'm on my third rope in two hours. I just can't get enough of this stuff.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Those things are really good. I'm not surprised you haven't discovered them yet though, they don't seem to be too popular. Maybe it's because they're an awkward size/shape?

Mrs. Willowain said...

Two words. Jelly. Bellies. That's pretty much the only candy I eat.

snizzlephritz said...

You candy snob :)

Unknown said...

Now that the candy dilemma is resolved, I asked, what kind of bear is best?

Anonymous said...

哈哈,美国人对甜点的热爱可真是。。。

Anonymous said...

Today Regina said that we "can offer the Yogos, the Twister, the Fruit Roll-Ups, and anything else... but Naomi and I really like Nerds Rope," meaning that those are not to be eaten just anytime by just anyone.

I think you've found yourself in good company.

-Brenda