Monday, November 26, 2007

All I Ever Needed to Know, I Learned from Mao

With two weeks left in the semester, I was just informed that I must give eleven more quizzes to my students by the end of the semester. Eleven. This translates into more than one quiz per day. This also translates into grading approximately 650 quizzes in next two weeks. Hence, my days will be spent hunched over sometimes incoherent, often incorrect scribblings with a red-ink pen.

In my initial frustration over my boss’s impossible expectations, I was sorely tempted to create a few quiz scores ex nihilo. But I was quickly dissuaded from this tactic by a) ethics, b) the knowledge that successfully forging relatively accurate, imaginary grades would be difficult, and c) Chinese history.

The first two reasons are rather transparent, but the third might take some explaining. In the late 1950’s, Chairman Mao Zedong of China began an ill-fated initiative called the Great Leap Forward. He formed citizens into agricultural collectives that reported to the government. The goal was to use the government’s monopoly on agriculture to finance nationwide industrialization. Unfortunately, the production quotas for the collectives were impossibly high. However, to save face each cadre would lie to his superior, stating that production quotas had not only been met, but exceeded. Such “success” led to increased production quotas and, predictably, the same lies. As a result of this lying epidemic, China reported phenomenal harvests for a while, only to have millions die of starvation a couple years later when people couldn’t subsist on imaginary grain.

Lesson learned: Forging numbers = starvation. Not exactly, but it could if I lost my job.

1 comment:

Nate Chisholm said...

Bill McKibben's latest book, Deep Economy, critiques the modernist Western value that growth (exceeding quotas) is beneficial and prosperous. In setting this standard, he argues, we have set ourselves up for a continuing pattern of growth outward (usually numerically) rather than inward (developing community, ethics, responsibility, etc.) He applies these suppositions to many areas of life and explains how this mindset is not sustainable over the long term. I thought of him as I read your latest piece...so what are you going to do? You could just give one quiz with 11 questions on it, and record each one as a separate grade just to show the silliness of mandating a certain number of quizzes each semester...

http://www.billmckibben.com/deep-economy.html