Saturday, November 24, 2007

IMAgiNiff

On Thanksgiving, I played a board game called Imaginiff with my family. The game gives you a hypothetical situation and asks you to guess—among six options--what a person’s most likely response to the situation would be. So, you spend the game wondering whether your father would really confess to accidentally running over the neighbor’s cat; or whether he would rather, as you suspect, place the smashed cat on the cul-de-sac and say nothing. You also start to ask yourself questions you’ve never asked yourself before—questions like, “If I were a condiment, what kind of condiment would I most likely be?”

As I was puttering about my house today, circumstances inspired me to design my own Imaginiff card:

IMAgiNiff… (Naomi)___

Had Mormons come to the front door. What would he/she most likely do?

1. Welcome them in and offer them tea

2. Explain to them that he/she had a Mormon roommate in college and already knows a lot about Mormonism

3. Take this as an opportunity to discuss the possibility of acquiring some holy underwear

4. Show them his/her collection of Mormon Tabernacle Choir CDs

5. Convert

6. Hide

6 comments:

Astro said...

Hmm, after careful consideration (i.e. about five seconds), I've come to the conclusion that you would initially be tempted with option #3. But, in deference to the social norms of the mormon evangelists (and their possibly exploding heads), you'd probably just go with option #2 and let out a little sigh as you closed the door for choosing the less entertaining of the two.

Am I close? :)

Emily said...

I vote #2. Or maybe #6. It would depend on how you were feeling. Confession: I hid from the Jehovah's Witness people one time when they came to the door and I was the only one home. I think I was 12 at the time, so that might have been okay.

(I'm also going to say that Daniel, in addition to being tempted by #3, would probably actually go ahead and do that)

Unknown said...

I'm with Emily. #2 if you're feeling social, #6 if you're not.

snizzlephritz said...

Wow, guys. I appreciate your confidence in me, but I definitely hid (option #6).

Katie said...

3

Anonymous said...

Encouraging that no one entertains #5, but after doing #1 and ending up in a Bible study with them, I found the best is to know the book of Romans well -- especially chapters 3 and 4, and just stick with the gospel (they claim to agree with the Bible). This puts them in totally unfamiliar territory, for, while they study the Bible in preparation for talking with you, they seem to have never noticed the book of Romans (for obvious reasons). Discomfort follows...the lead "elder" (why do they all look high-school age?) gets pissed that the novice "elder" is actually listening to you...intervenes in the situation by announcing a "shake the dust off their feet" at you...and they walk out saying: "Hold your peace!" -- which leaves you glad to at least have peace, because of Romans 5:1. This is only a once-tried experiement, and i would like to hear if it might be tested again by those of you in the more central/western states who encounter them more frequently. What we could do, is trade: I will send you JWs in exchange for some Mormons -- that way we would all get fair training. I have a thing for underwear though, and if their souls were not at stake, i would sincerely like to test the moroni-type up against some jockeys or calvin klein.