Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Melting Pot

The US is the Melting Pot of the World. I maintain that my neighborhood is the Melting Pot of the US--at least demographically. My next-door neighbors, Bob and Wanda, are homebound octogenarians; on the other side, are guys I fondly refer to as "the college frat boys," whose hobbies include leaving their red gym shorts hanging on the front porch banister and practicing their frat boy band music loud enough to rattle the walls of my house.

Behind me are the Villa Capri apartments, their whimsical name belying their utilitarian function. They are home mostly to Chinese and Taiwanese, who gladly live in cinder block if it means cheap rent.

Then there are the Mexicans (I think they really are Mexican, not just generic Latin American). They live down the street, and I only notice them when I hear the music blaring during their weekly Sunday gatherings, presumably the only day they have off.

Me? I'm a white, middle-class working female. I am what everyone is melting into.

2 comments:

Astro said...

This is my most favoritest blog ever! No, really. The humorous commentary on seemingly normal and yet rather awkward situations is excellent... plus, I've already had to look up the definitions of two words used in your blog alteady. Thanks for the awesomeness!

-Daniel

Unknown said...

Cool thoughts, Naomi. I finally made it here.